[gmx-users] Re: itanium2 vs xeon

Michel Cuendet michel.cuendet at epfl.ch
Wed Feb 25 11:01:01 CET 2004

Hi,

  I don't know about xeons, but I have compared Itanium2 1GHz and
opteron 1.4GHz. Itanium is 40% slower. It's really hard to reach the
theoretical power of an itanium without highly optimized code. For a
definite answer we should wait for the assembly loops, though.

  If I were you, I would definitely go for either xeon or opteron, and
buy a fast switch with it. This would still amount to about half the
price of as many itanium2 cpu's, and save you a lot of headaches in
installing software...

  Bye,

Michel