[gmx-users] cutt offs

David spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Tue Jan 27 22:06:01 CET 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-27 at 21:48, Eric Jakobsson wrote:
> It seems to me that there are no single Lennard Jones spheres that size in
> nature.  I think part of the difficulty of the doing the calculation is
> that it is inherently not physical.  Perhaps, since such a large
> Lennard-Jones sphere implies a continuum model for the material inside the
> sphere, it might be better to do a continuum model of the water as
> well.  If you did smaller spheres with explicit waters, that would be more
> physical---like a blob of methane molecules, for example.

One of the beauties of the MD algorithm is that you can use it for
non-physical or just plain weird things. I think weather prediction by
MD will be vastly superior to the current crap...

Further, I think the request is not unreasonable, as it is this division
that (I have heard) was used by Kollman in his famous microsecond sim.
of Villin. No cut-off within the protein, but protein-water and
water-water was at 8Å. Of course that can be debated as well...

Nevertheless, this is not implemented now. It would require hacking of
the neighbour searching. Basically, define a matrix of cut-offs with the
energy-group number as an index.