[gmx-users] Solvation causes failure of GROMPP preprocessing for Conjugate Gradients minimization?

Mark Berjanskii mberj at bionmr.com
Mon Jul 12 21:21:18 CEST 2004

Dear Gromacs users,

Has anybody run into and found solution for a problem like the
following?

When I try to pre-process input files for Conjugate Gradients
minimization of my protein in a box of water, grompp gives the following
error

ERROR: can not do Conjugate Gradients with constraints (12216)
There was 1 warning
Fatal error: There was 1 error

Gromacs exits after this error.

I do not use any constraints or/and dummy atoms so the error does not
make sense to me.

Interestingly, when I try to pre-process files for Conjugate Gradients
minimization of only protein, pre-procession runs just fine. So my guess
is that it is the protein solvation that causes the problem.

Steepest descent preprocessing runs just fine.

The command that I use to solvate protein is
genbox -cp out -cs -p protein -o protein_water
(See output below.)

I use default water molecule. Changing the type of water molecule does
not help.

The command for GROMPP script is
grompp -v -f em.mdp -o full -c protein_water.gro -p protein
See output below.

The MDP file (right below) I use for preprocessing is taken from Gromacs
demo. I changed only integrator from steep to sg.

title               =  protein
cpp                 =  /lib/cpp
define              =  -DFLEX_SPC
constraints         =  none
integrator          =  cg
dt                  =  0.002    ; ps !
nsteps              =  10000
nstlist             =  10
ns_type             =  grid
rlist               =  1.0
rcoulomb            =  1.0
rvdw                =  1.0
;
;       Energy minimizing stuff
;
emtol               =  1000.0
emstep              =  0.01
nstcgsteep          =  1000

I use  Gromacs 3.2.1 on a computer with Red Hat 9.0 Linux OS.

The was similar problem discussed before (see
http://www.gromacs.org/pipermail/gmx-users/2003-April/005280.html ) but
its solution is not applicable in my case because I do not use dummy
atoms (at least, intentionally).

If anybody has an idea how to solve this mystery or/and have a working
example of mdp file for Conjugate Gradients minimization of a protein in
a water box, please let me know.

Thank you,

Mark Berjanskii
mberjans at bionmr.com
University of Alberta

P.S.

Below is output of Genbox and Grompp  runs.

M.

"Useful" output of Genbox program:

Opening library file /usr/local/gromacs/share/top/aminoacids.dat
Opening library file /usr/local/gromacs/share/top/atommass.dat
Opening library file /usr/local/gromacs/share/top/vdwradii.dat
Opening library file /usr/local/gromacs/share/top/dgsolv.dat
#Entries in atommass.dat: 82 vdwradii.dat: 26 dgsolv.dat: 7
Reading solute configuration
ETS-1; 5 SITE
Containing 1747 atoms in 110 residues
Initialising van der waals distances...
Reading solvent configuration
"216H2O,WATJP01,SPC216,SPC-MODEL,300K,BOX(M)=1.86206NM,WFVG,MAR. 1984"
solvent configuration contains 648 atoms in 216 residues

Initialising van der waals distances...
Will generate new solvent configuration of 3x4x3 boxes
Generating configuration
Sorting configuration
Found 1 molecule type:
    SOL (   3 atoms):  7776 residues
Calculating Overlap...
box_margin = 0.315
Removed 6720 atoms that were outside the box
Table routines are used for coulomb: FALSE
Table routines are used for vdw:     FALSE
Cut-off's:   NS: 0.48   Coulomb: 0.48   LJ: 0.48
Generated table with 0 data points for COUL.
Tabscale = 500 points/nm
Generated table with 0 data points for LJ6.
Tabscale = 500 points/nm
Generated table with 0 data points for LJ12.
Tabscale = 500 points/nm
Going to determine what solvent types we have.
There are 0 molecules, 25075 charge groups and 25075 atoms
There are 0 optimized solvent molecules on node 0
There are 0 optimized water molecules on node 0
Grid: 20 x 27 x 18 cells
Succesfully made neighbourlist
nri = 38873, nrj = 1225795
Checking Protein-Solvent overlap: tested 39998 pairs, removed 1806
atoms.
Checking Solvent-Solvent overlap: tested 197195 pairs, removed 2586
atoms.
Added 4072 molecules
Generated solvent containing 12216 atoms in 4072 residues
Writing generated configuration to protein_water.gro

Back Off! I just backed up protein_water.gro to ./#protein_water.gro.4#
ETS-1; 5 SITE

Output configuration contains 13963 atoms in 4182 residues
Volume                 :     142.599 (nm^3)
Density                :      1000.3 (g/l)
Number of SOL molecules:   4072

Processing topology

Back Off! I just backed up protein.top to ./#protein.top.10#

gcq#51: "You Could Make More Money As a Butcher" (F. Zappa)

"Useful" output of Grompp

Back Off! I just backed up mdout.mdp to ./#mdout.mdp.34#
checking input for internal consistency...
calling /lib/cpp...
processing topology...
Generated 243951 of the 243951 non-bonded parameter combinations
Generating 1-4 interactions: fudge = 0.5
Generated 243951 of the 243951 1-4 parameter combinations
Excluding 3 bonded neighbours for Protein 1
Excluding 2 bonded neighbours for SOL 4072
WARNING 1 [file "protein.top", line 16429]:
  System has non-zero total charge: -5.000000e+00

processing coordinates...
double-checking input for internal consistency...