[gmx-users] atom type error

Haerterich, Steffen haerterich at apollo1.pharmazie.uni-erlangen.de
Fri Jul 16 07:27:13 CEST 2004

Hallo!
The Problem with DPPC and the standard GROMACS forcefield is that for example the
bonds between CH3 and NL which are used to describe the ammonium-head of DPPC
are not defined within the forcefield (within ffgmxbn.itp if I am not mistaken).
I guess by the atomtype 'LC3' that you are using the dppc.itp from Tieleman's website.
He introduces some new atomtypes for the lipid-atoms which are not defined within the
forcefield. So you would have to include his lipid.itp within your topology, too.
However this file is incompatible to the new versions of GROMAX due to a second
[default] section.
A solution for this is to download the ffgmx_lipids.tar.gz from the topologies part from
the gromacs-homepage. It seems that the lipid.itp-Parameters are included in this
forcefield and it works fine with the popc.itp, dppc.itp, etc. from Tieleman's website.
(I took this information from a recent discussion within the gmx-users mailing list)

Link to forcefield-download:
http://www.gromacs.org/topologies/uploaded_force_fields/ffgmx_lipids.tar.gz
(Thanks to Bert de Groot who uploaded this file!!!)

If you want to use a different forcefield you will probably have to explicitly declare the
atomtypes, bonds, etc. you are using within the dppc.itp / your own lipid.itp / the
[forcefield].atp or stick to those already implemented within the forcefield. (I think the
modified ffgmx43a2-forcefield uses LCH2 and LCH3 to describe the aliphatic chains but
I am not sure)
I hope this is of some help to you.

Steffen