[gmx-users] pull code

Kay Gottschalk kay.gottschalk at weizmann.ac.il
Sun Jul 18 12:13:13 CEST 2004

In the system I am working with, there are data indicating that a
conformational change occurs upon ligand binding which can be enforced
(without ligand) by introducing a disulphide bridge that can only be
formed in the ligand-bound conformation. I didn't see the
conformational change when just doing a (10 ns...) simulation, probably
because it's too slow. Now I'd like to slowly pull the disulphide
bridge-forming atoms together, in the presence and absence of ligand,
and compare the force profile/energy profile. I think the pull code
should be able to do so, but somehow I can't figure it out from the
manual how to really do it. One workaround would be to make many
consecutive simulations with shortening distance restraints,
equilibrate the system for each distance and then measure the
constraint force with free energy perturbation. But that seems rather
tedious. Does anyone know a better approach? Perhaps I can do
AFM-pulling and stop at a certain distance?
Thanks,
Kay.