[gmx-users] molecular dynamics problems

vlad.chindea at pharmatech.ro vlad.chindea at pharmatech.ro
Tue Jul 20 14:17:48 CEST 2004

Dear Xavier

First of all, if I am not wrong I know that decreasing thermostat coupling
constant allow faster equilibration of the system. Default value in Sybyl
is also 100fs but when I saw that local temp. are not what they should
be,I decrease the value, in order to heat more the system.

Actually I have to run in NPT, but when I saw that I cannot achieve
equilibrium, and the volume keeps increasing (I used again 20fs coupling
constant with scaled velocities, maybe this is the culprit?) ruining my
density, I switched to NVT, to have a looksee.

Local temp. are mesured by Sybyl by selecting molecules of interest,
(probably by the same algorithm as total temp.) so I choose the whole
solvent molecules and while reported temp. for the system was 300K for
solvent was only 200K.

When I measured the temp. of the solute molecule (only 41 atoms from 4850
of the whole system)it was even lower then solvent temp., which led me to
belive that I have a 'hot solvent, cold solute situation' From your
experience what is the normal variation of local temp.(compared to total
temp.) in a well behaved simulation?

Velocities were assigned randomly at the begining of the simulation.

Bug in the software was more like a rethorical question, I know that most
probably I am doing something wrong but i cannot figure out what.

What would be the normal course that you would employ for a simulation of
this kind (solute in water, equilibrated at 300K in NPT) ?

Many thanks and kind regards
Vlad chindea