[gmx-users] multiple backups

Berk Hess gmx3 at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 27 14:09:41 CEST 2004

Hi,

I would like to know what the Gromacs users think of multiple backups.

As of version 3.1.2 Gromacs makes multiple backups of files.
If you use the same mdrun command four times
in the same directory you would have for instance:
#md.log.1#
#md.log.2#
#md.log.3#
md.log
Before version 3.1.2 Gromacs would make only one backup
and you would lose all the older files:
#md.log#
md.log

I can see that this could be useful in that you never loose files,
unless you type rm.
But personally I find all these files quite annoying and I know
of may people that think the same.
When doing analysis or when trying to start a simulation which
has some problems you often type the same command many
times and the directory is quickly flooded with more than a hundred
backup files. I have never used a backup file beyond the last backup.

So I propose to go back to the old system which has only
a single backup for each file.

Berk.