[gmx-users] A. - Vol. / lipid & associated errors

Erik Lindahl lindahl at csb.stanford.edu
Tue Jun 8 23:33:29 CEST 2004

Hi,
> I'm convinced that you guys, before a production run of a bilayer
> system,
> perform an equilibration to get the feeling about the area/volume per
> lipid.

Definitely. Unfortunately it's not quite so good that we equilibrate
until a certain predetermined metric has been fulfilled, but rather:
equilibrate as long as you can afford. Yes, it's stupid in one way, but
the problem is that no matter how long you equilibrate you can always
find some properties that require longer timescales to reach
equilibrium... (think lipid flip-flop on second timescales).

> Can someone give some numbers about the associated property errors
> between the
> MD obtained values and the experimental ones? 5 % is good in both
> properties?

That depends on your forcefield. First, volume/lipid is much more
well-defined experimentally and show lower fluctuations. However, most
non-lipid forcefields are up to 20% off on both measures. We developed
some lipid-specific force fields about 5 years ago that have less than
1% error for common lipids, but of course that's not quite comparable
since we're obviously parameterising for the lipids.

In general, I would recommend using a lipid-specific force field if you
are interested in examining and reproducing properties of pure
bilayers.  On the other hand, if your eventual goal is to use the
membranes as a solvent for proteins you will probably be quite happy
with setting the area/lipid to the correct value and the using whatever
force field you like.

Cheers,

Erik