[gmx-users] Changing Dielectric constant

Erik Lindahl lindahl at csb.stanford.edu
Fri Mar 5 14:39:01 CET 2004

There is actually an option in the mdp file to change the dielectric
constant directly, it's called epsilon_r. However, as other people have
warned this only scales down the interactions by changing the vacuum
dielectric constant. Even when you use the default epsilon_r=1, a water
model like SPC provides a macroscopic dielectric constant around 60,
and TIP5P reaches 80. All recent force fields are parameterized for
epsilon_r=1.

Cheers,

Erik