[gmx-users] mpicc build problems - /usr/bin/ld: BFD 2.11.93.0.2

Cliff Addison C.Addison at liverpool.ac.uk
Mon Mar 15 14:13:01 CET 2004

Thanks to some good help from several people, I have been able to build
and run the parallel version of GROMACS 3.2.1 on our local cluster.  It
appears that this is an error message from the loader that occurs when
configure has found the wrong version of a library or if the link path
is such that the wrong library is used to satisfy external references.

In the case of GROMACS 3.2.1 on an SCore 5.4 system, configure found the
wrong version of the motif libraries and wanted to load some libraries
dynamically when they should have been used statically.

The solution (the important bit for nearly all of us) was to configure
the build using:

./configure --disable-x86-asm --enable-mpi --program-suffix=_mpi
--without-x --enable-all-static

As Erik Lindahl pointed out, it really is only mdrun_mpi that is
relevant. Everything else can be run from the single processor build, so
building without X-windows (and hence not needing motif libraries) and
forcing a static build is not really a big liability.

Hope this is of some help to others.

Cliff

--
Cliff Addison