[gmx-users] 2 fs time step??

Erik Lindahl lindahl at csb.stanford.edu
Wed Mar 31 19:01:02 CEST 2004

It depends on the temperature of your system, not the number of steps.
Normally the fastest motions are bond involving hydrogens, and after
that bonds between non-hydrogen atoms.

If you constrain bonds 2fs should be perfectly safe. There's no reason
to go to 1fs (and you gain almost a factor 2 in speed).

A lot of people use 2fs even when they only constrain bonds involving
hydrogens, and that also seems ok. I've done some informal tests, and
when using lincs you can actually often go to 3fs steps, but I cannot
recommend other people to do that - yet.

Neighborsearching should ideally be done at the same _time_ intervals
(not step intervals), so you should decrease nstlist for longer
timesteps.

Cheers,

Erik