[gmx-users] counterions

Ran Friedman ran at hemi.tau.ac.il
Fri Oct 8 18:37:49 CEST 2004

Hi,

People normally add counter ions to neutralise their system. It is also
common to add a few salt ions in order to stabilise simulations of
biomacromolecules (you can search pubmed for a publication by Ibragimova
and Wade related to the subject) or simply to mimic physiological
conditions.

To the best of my knowledge, you should neutralise the total charge of
your system if you use PME (but check the archives - not everybody
agrees on it).

Ran.

Osmany Guirola Cruz wrote:

>In last mail i forget do a question... and it's relative to counterions....
>Where can i find information about the role of counterions in MD..
>Should i have to use counterions in all my simulations or depend if i use PME
>in my simulation or another thing?
>Thanks
>Osmany

> This Mail Was Scanned By Mail-seCure System
> at the Tel-Aviv University CC.

Ran Friedman
Laser Laboratory for Fast Reactions in Biology
Department of Biochemistry
Faculty of Life Sciences
Tel-Aviv University
Tel. +972-3-6409824