[gmx-users] script to remove water

Kai Zhuang kai.zhuang at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 20:58:55 CEST 2005

easier way to do this without script: use VMD

open the pdb/gro file with VMD, use atomselect command to select
everything that's NOT water.  then use writepdb command to write your
selection to a pdb file.

look at VMD's tutorial/reference for usage of atomselect and writepdb
command. if i remember right, tutorial go through a exact same senario
like yours, to remove all waters from a system.

On 8/23/05, Ramachandra Rao Gullapalli <rrg142 at psu.edu> wrote:
> Dear Group
> As per the advice of Dr Bostick, i have tried to build my own bilayers and
> introduce the molecule of my choice into the same. However, when i try to
> hydrate the bilayer, there are water molecules everywhere. I have read on the
> groups that we need to write our own script to remove them. I tried to search
> for such a script in vain.I was wondering if anyone could lend me such a script
> as i am not familiar with scripting languages. I would be really thankful for
> such a file.
> Sincerely
> Regards
> Rama
>

> The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing...
> -Einstein

Confidentiality Notice:
If you are not the intended receipient of this email, please do not
disclose its information
and notify the sender immediantely.  Failure to comply may result in
legal actions.

Kai Zhuang
BioMedical Engineering @ University of Toronto
kai dot zhuang at gmail dot com