[gmx-users] Exploding molecules

Frederic Leroy frederic.leroy at urv.net
Wed Aug 31 19:26:23 CEST 2005

Jeffrey Chua wrote:

> dear friends,
>
> sorry, im resending this again...
>
> we are trying to do an md simulation of 1,2-cyclohexanediol (in water)
> using OPLSAA as forcefield but the runs always end up with a
> segmentation fault error.  and when the trr files are converted and
> viewed using VMD, the molecule seems to have exploded, with the
> oxygens in the alcohol groups joining, and the whole molecule looks
> totally deformed.  could it be because of electrostatics? can anyone
> suggest a way on how to go about this (without calculating for
> electrostatic potentials anymore if it is because of the electrostatics).
>
> thanks
>
> jeffchua

I am simulating a sysytem similar to yours: An alcohol in water. I also
use the OPLSAA potential for the alcohol. Everything is OK if I use an
SPC/E model for the water. The problem comes when I try to use a TIP4P
model. This makes me think about a problem with the constraints to be
used to make the water being rigid.
If anybody has experience on this question... Many thanks by advance.
Frédéric.