[gmx-users] segmentation fault error

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Sat Dec 10 13:19:55 CET 2005

Rahul Karyappa wrote:
> Dear all,
>
>     I am running MD on my system. But after few steps it
> gives error as "Segmentation fault".  I have generated my
> structure  using Cerius2 and I have minimised it also. Even I
> minimised the structure usiong Gromacs. But still it gives this error.
> What  will be the cause of this error?  I am totally
> confused. PLease let me know about this. Thanking you in advance.

A segmentation fault is a generic error report that occurs when a
program tries to read or write memory errors that it shouldn't (be able
to) access. In well-tested software like gromacs, this usually means
inappropriate input has been provided. It is like going to the doctor
and saying "I'm sick"... you'll need to provide more information.