[gmx-users] ngmx not installed

Jason de Joannis jdejoan at emory.edu
Fri Feb 18 20:54:05 CET 2005

> Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 19:48:13 +0100 (CET)
> From: David van der Spoel <spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se>
> Subject: Re: [gmx-users] ngmx not installed
> To: Discussion list for GROMACS users <gmx-users at gromacs.org>
>
> On Thu, 17 Feb 2005, Erik Lindahl wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >ngmx (and some other stuff) requires Motif IIRC, so check the output
> >when you run configure and if it can find X as well as motif.
> >
> >There's a free version of Motif called lesstif that should be available
> >either on your install disks or www.lesstif.org.
> Just FYI, motif is now also free and available for most linuces as
> openmotif (works also on Mac OS X).
>
> However, ngmx does not require Motif, just X windows. You may have to
> install X-windows development packages though.

David - I think you are right. I just got ngmx running on one machine
without Motif. All I added was the X development package. The only parts
of Motif that happen to be installed on this machine are the Open
Motif runtime libraries. Xfree86-devel is probably installed automatically
as a dependency when one installs Motif, which is why Motif appears to
"solve" the problem.

  Cheers /Jason

--
Jason de Joannis, Ph.D.