[gmx-users] LIE interaction

Anton Feenstra feenstra at few.vu.nl
Mon Feb 21 10:53:25 CET 2005

Cesar Lopez wrote:

> Dear users gromacs
>
> I am running a molecular simuation using a sistem between RNA polymerase and Ryfampicin, well I have cut the polymerase using only the active site where the ryfampicin dock, and then I have used the LIE mthod to calculate the free gibs energy.
>
> My question are:
>
> Why appear a simbol (nan) nera to the result of G
> What does it mean?
> sometimes appear numbers ( 22.222 for example), but when you modify the beta and alfa parameters it seems that it reduce the number.

You should be aware that some versions of Gromacs (notably, 3.1, I'm not
sure of 3.2) have a bug in g_lie. You can use g_energy and a pocket
calculator to do the calculations yourself, however.

I'm not sure it is sensible to use g_lie on a 'cutout' portion of you
system, normally one would want the interaction energy between ligand
(Ryfampicin, in this case I assume) and the rest of the system
(RNApolymerase *and* solvent), and compare those with the interaction
energy between ligand and solvent only (from a separate simulation of
ligand in solvent!).

- Which 'results of G' are your referring to?
- modifying beta and alpha changes your free energy estimate, obviously.
Which values have you used? Which changes did you see?

--
Groetjes,

Anton

* NOTE: New Phone & Fax numbers (below) *

| \_/ \_/ | | | Tel: +31 20 59 87608 - Fax: +31 20 59 87610           |
|             | Feenstra at few.vu.nl - www.few.vu.nl/~feenstra/         |
|             | "If You See Me Getting High, Knock Me Down" (RHCP)    |