[gmx-users] pull code

Kay Gottschalk kay.gottschalk at physik.uni-muenchen.de
Fri Jun 24 11:44:09 CEST 2005

The profiles you get with pulling simulations are of an irreversible
(out-of-equilibrium) process. Thus, dissipation has a strong
contribution, and the forces/energies are higher than for the
equilibrium process. Furthermore, the reaction coordinate is biased
due to the choice of the vector you are pulling along - the 'best'
reaction coordinate for your process can be different, so that again
you may end up calculating higher forces. Therefore, it might well be
that the backward process happens spontaneously after 10 ns, even if
you calculate the high barrier for the forward process. Did you check
whether the forward process also happens spontaneously after a while?
Cheers,
Kay.