[gmx-users] "Make Install" hold-up

Erik Lindahl lindahl at sbc.su.se
Thu Mar 10 17:31:36 CET 2005

Hi Mike,

Gromacs uses the standard GNU-style autoconfiguration, so you can
always specify the installation location with "--prefix" to the
configure script.

I.e.,

./configure --prefix=/home/mike/software

would put binaries in /home/mike/software/[bin,lib] and data in
/home/mike/software/share

The current Gromacs release appends an architecture-specific directory,
but we'll be moving away from that in future releases (it can always be
set/unset explicitly with --exec-prefix).

Cheers,

Erik