[gmx-users] Pressure coupling for bilayer

Anton Feenstra feenstra at few.vu.nl
Tue May 3 19:18:43 CEST 2005

Itamar Kass wrote:

> itai bloch wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am trying to set up a simulation of peptide in lipid bilayer with a
>> file taken from Prof. Tieleman's website (dppc128.pdb). I used genbox
>> for the peptide positioning (which made quite a large cavity around
>> the peptide).

Yes - there is no other choice but to cut away all lipids that clash
with your peptide - hence the cavities.

Alternatively, there is the mdrun_hole option which people have used
with varying success. Search the list for 'hole' - I'd *not* advise
using google ;-)

>> I have a problem of lipids molecules that go out of the bilayer while
>> doing the first position restrained run (only the peptide is fixed)
>> and from what I found in the mailing list it has to do with the
>> pressure coupling I use.
>
>   Try to do some Md when the DMPC's phosphate atoms are fixed to the XY
> plane.
>
>> I have tried both isotropic and anisotropic coupling but it seems like
>> giving the same problem or just give an error due to large pressure
>> oscilations and halt the run.
>> Does anyone have suggestions from his own experience? I really need
>> help with it.

Try also first equilibrating without pressure coupling. In addition, you
could 'squeeze' your conformation to approximately the right density
first, using 'editconf -scale', and then equilibrate without pressure
coupling. If this seem too harsh for you, you could also only scale the
bilayer, and add back in the original, unscaled peptide at the proper
location in the hole. Scaling will also make the holes between peptide
and lipids a bit smaller.

--
Groetjes,

Anton

* NOTE: New Phone & Fax numbers (below) *

| \_/ \_/ | | | Tel: +31 20 59 87608 - Fax: +31 20 59 87610           |
|             | Feenstra at few.vu.nl - www.few.vu.nl/~feenstra/         |
|             | "If You See Me Getting High, Knock Me Down" (RHCP)    |