[gmx-users] rephrase my question about torsional restraints

David Mobley dmobley at gmail.com
Wed May 25 18:19:51 CEST 2005

David,

Thanks for the response, but I'm not sure that this is a satisfactory solution:

A) I need to do this in a free energy calculation, so I already have
to use the special CVS version (from Nov. 04) which includes the
reciprocal space part for the free energy calculations.
B) I don't actually want the two molecules to be connected -- I just
need to restrain relative orientations. From looking at the manual, it
looks like the -merge option joins the two molecules, which isn't what
I want (but perhaps I'm misunderstanding it?).

To be a little more specific about what I'm trying to do, I'm doing
some FEP/TI for ligand binding where I first restrain the ligand
relative to some reference atoms in the protein (two angles, three
torsions, and a distance), and then turn off vdw and electrostatics.
I've done some calculations in AMBER, and am now trying to get the
same thing going in GROMACS.

Let me know if this is currently not possible. I suppose another
option is that I simply restrain three different distances rather than
the six dof I'm currently doing, although this will require more
sampling.

Thanks,
David