[gmx-users] How thick layer of water should one add around aprotein?

Oliver Beckstein oliver at biop.ox.ac.uk
Wed Nov 2 10:51:53 CET 2005

On 2 Nov, 2005, at 08:21, Mu Yuguang (Dr) wrote:

> As a thumb of rule the closest distance between the peptide and the box
> edge > 5 A.

My philosophy is that the water at the edge should have bulk-like
properties so that you can really pretend to simulate a fully solvated
protein. Judging from density and diffusion coefficients, SPC water at
standard conditions becomes bulk-like at a distance of >1 nm from a
membrane-like slab. Hence I'd choose a water shell of about 1 nm at
least and check that the water self-diffusion coefficient at the edge
of your simulation cell is close to the one you get for a pure box of
SPC (or whatever water model you're using).

Oliver