[gmx-users] How thick layer of water should one add around aprotein?

Ran Friedman ran at hemi.tau.ac.il
Wed Nov 2 12:11:25 CET 2005

In addition to Oliver's comment, I'd say it's also a matter of the
structural changes during the simulations: if the structure of the
peptide becomes more extended, then it may become closer to the edge of
the box during the simulation.

Ran.

Oliver Beckstein wrote:

> On 2 Nov, 2005, at 08:21, Mu Yuguang (Dr) wrote:
>
>> As a thumb of rule the closest distance between the peptide and the box
>> edge > 5 A.
>>
> My philosophy is that the water at the edge should have bulk-like
> properties so that you can really pretend to simulate a fully solvated
> protein. Judging from density and diffusion coefficients, SPC water at
> standard conditions becomes bulk-like at a distance of >1 nm from a
> membrane-like slab. Hence I'd choose a water shell of about 1 nm at
> least and check that the water self-diffusion coefficient at the edge
> of your simulation cell is close to the one you get for a pure box of
> SPC (or whatever water model you're using).
>
> Oliver
>
>> Dr. Yuguang Mu
>> Division of Structural and Computational Biology
>> School of Biological Sciences
>> Nanyang Technological University
>> 60 Nanyang Drive
>> Singapore 637551
>> Tel: 63162885
>> Fax: 67913856

Ran Friedman
http://bioinfo.tau.ac.il/~ran
Laser Laboratory for Fast Reactions in Biology
Department of Biochemistry
Faculty of Life Sciences
Tel-Aviv University
Tel. +972-3-6409824