[gmx-users] Re: gmx-users Digest, Vol 19, Issue 26

George Rydlew g.rydlew at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 18:11:06 CET 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 20:48 +0100, David wrote:
> > Dear GROMACS users,
> >
> >   I am doing POPC membrane simulation using gromacs 3.1.4 with:
> >
> > pbc = xyz
> > constraints =  hbonds
> > constraint_algorithm = shake
> >
> > put in parameter file. Everything goes without any problems as long as
> > I run it in serial. However any attempts to continue simulation in
> > parallel causes either "inconsistent shifts" or "Shake did not
> > converge in 1000 steps" errors.
> > In particular when
> >
> > unconstrained_start = yes
> > gen_vel =  no
> >
> > is set in md.mdp and followed by:
> >
> > grompp -f md.mdp -n popc.ndx -deshuf popc_deshuf.ndx -p popc.top -t
> > popc-serial.trr -c popc-serial.gro -np 2 -shuffle -o popc-parallel.tpr
> > mpirun -np 2 mdrun_mpi -deffnm popc-parallel
> >
> > mdrun crashes with "inconsistent shifts". Another way around:
> The problem may be that your topology gets shuffled, but not your
> coordinates. Try it without shuffle first. If that work make an inverse
> deshuf.ndx file from the original deshuf.ndx and apply that to your
> original trr (last frame only will suffice):
> trjconv -f popc-serial.trr -b XXX -n reshuf.ndx -o reshuffled.trr
> and feed that trr file to grompp.

There seams to be two different issues. The trajectory file indeed
don't get shuffled. After manual reshuffling it was possible to run
the simulation in gmx 3.2.1 Resultant trajectory, after  deshuffling,
seams to be ok. However, in gmx 3.1.4 I got "Shake did not converge"
error - same as when starting from ".gro". Can this be attributed to
athlon processors I am running this simulations on? On gromacs.org
there is a mention of work around for problems with SSE on athlon,
that was introduced in v3.2.1