[gmx-users] version for windows

Wang Zhun wangzhun at pumc.edu.cn
Tue Nov 22 18:52:36 CET 2005

I once installed a MS version of Gromacs on my pc but gave it up in the end for the stability of the OS and other unexpected problems. And I'm using a Linux version of Gromacs which is working for me now. So MS Windows OS is a better choice for some software like DeepView, in my opinion, but absolutely not for Gromacs.

In your mail:
>From: Erik Lindahl <lindahl at sbc.su.se>
>To: Discussion list for GROMACS users <gmx-users at gromacs.org>
>Subject: Re: [gmx-users] version for windows
>Date:Tue, 22 Nov 2005 18:04:26 +0100
>
>Hi,
>
>We really don't  care much about MS Windows, since it's not
>particularly suited for high-performance computing tasks running in
>the background. To tell the truth, the main reason why we've ported
>the code to native windows (i.e., not cygwin) is to enable
>simulations in distributed computing environments like folding at home.
>
>If you want a nice graphical user interface combined with Unix
>environment I'd recommend Mac OS X.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Erik
>
>On Nov 22, 2005, at 4:37 PM, Yang Ye wrote:
>
>> frankly, neither. 3.1.2 is outdated and 3.2.1 has bugs that may
>> affect you. if you would like to run gromacs in parallel, Windows'
>> version is not suitable. If you are not familiar with text editing
>> on linux, you can modify the pdb on Windows and upload it to linux
>> (with WinSCP). IMHO, Gromacs for Windows is not up to the standard
>> of production. It suits for temporary use on analysis or small runs.
>>
>> After all, running gromacs on Windows also requires *NIX skills
>> because it runs under simulated POSIX environment.
>>
>> Everything needs to have a start and now is the time. =)
>>
>> Yang Ye
>>
>> gaurav gupta wrote:
>>> thanks for the guidance...just one more help which version will be
>>> better to install is it gromacs 3.1.2 or gromacs3.2.1
>>> i wanted to know this since i am not fimiliar with linux and i
>>> would like to work in windows for my pdb files
>>> thanks in advance
>>>

>>> On 11/22/05, §ª§Ó§Ñ§ß§à§Ó §®§Ú§ê§Ñ <grasp2 at mail.ru> wrote:
>>> Dear Gaurav,
>>>
>>> The version of Gromacs for Windows is situated here:
>>> http://www.gromacs.org/download/binaries.php?cpu=i686&os=MS_Windows
>>>
>>> Choose the version, compiled by Erik Lindahl.
>>>
>>> Sincerely yours,
>>> Misha Ivanov

>>> U.I.C.T , Matunga,Mumbai