[gmx-users] version for windows

Erik Lindahl lindahl at sbc.su.se
Tue Nov 22 19:07:04 CET 2005

On Nov 22, 2005, at 6:52 PM, Wang Zhun wrote:

> I once installed a MS version of Gromacs on my pc but gave it up in
> the end for the stability of the OS and other unexpected problems.
> And I'm using a Linux version of Gromacs which is working for me
> now. So MS Windows OS is a better choice for some software like
> DeepView, in my opinion, but absolutely not for Gromacs.

If you had problems with unexpected OS crashes on Athlons using
Gromacs < 3.1.4, this was due to a hardware bug in the SSE
implementation in some AMD processors (It took them over a year to
acknowledge it was their fault...) that I've since worked around. All
newer AMD CPUs should also have the bug fixed.

I might try to recompile 3.3.1 for Windows if I have time, but it
will still be command-line only.

Cheers,

Erik
Erik Lindahl  <lindahl at sbc.su.se>
Assistant Professor, Stockholm Bioinformatics Center
Stockholm University, SE 106 91 Stockholm
Phone: +46 8 5537 8564     Fax: +46 8 5537 8214