[gmx-users] topology file and LJ parameters

David Mobley dmobley at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 23:38:28 CET 2005

David,

> You mean you want to maintain the intramolecular VdW interactions?
> In that case you could specify all the interactions as pairs, with
> parameters different from the normal LJ.
> It's only 200...

Yes, that's exactly what I want to do. A couple questions on how that
works in practice:
(a) What do you mean by "with parameters different from the normal LJ"?
(b) Right now I'm trying a test case for which the answer should be
zero (perturbing  the vdW parameters for one atom of a larger molecule
in gas, while trying to leave the intramolecular terms on. I'm getting
a nonzero (around 0.5kJ/mol) value for dvd/lambda. Here's exactly what
I've done:
- Defined a dummy atom type in the topology file (atom types section)
with vdw sigma and epsilon of zero
- Perturbed the atom type in question to this dummy atom type in the
atoms section
- Enumerated all of the non-excluded (nrexcl=3) interactions involving
this atom type in the pair list and set the vdW parameters to
correspond to what their unperturbed value should have been. (As I
understand it, actually, the value here shouldn't matter; that is, it
shouldn't be perturbed by perturbing the atom type so it should make
no contribution to dv/dlambda. Is that correct?).

Any idea why this wouldn't be working (that is, why it would be giving
me nonzero dv/dlambda values)?

Thanks,
David