[gmx-users] Using a rtp file for sugar

David spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Wed Oct 5 17:59:17 CEST 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-05 at 16:48 +0200, Fernando Mattio wrote:
>        Hi again,
>        I just found pdb files of sugars in
> http://www.nyu.edu/pages/mathmol/library/sugars/
>        So I think the next step is to use the genbox, right? With this
> should be possible to multiply my sugar molecules and to put them in
> random positions. Well I am not sure about this because I am new as
> Gromac user, so any consideration about would be helpful for me.
You can use genconf for the sugars and then genbox for solvating them.
You can generate a topology using prodrg.

> [...]
>         chains...
>            What I understood from your answer is that I need an .itp
>         file of sugar to be added in the topology file, is it right?
>         The problem is that I could not find in the Gromacs files an
>         itp file for sugar, only .rtp, so do I have to create it or is
>         it already done somewhere that I could not find?
>
>           Sugars
>

>         GALB
>         ffgmx.rtp
>         -
>         galactose-
>         C6H10O5
>         -
>         GLCA
>         ffgmx.rtp
>         -
>         glucose-A
>         C6H10O5
>         -
>         GLCB
>         ffgmx.rtp
>         -
>         glucose-B
>         C6H10O5
>         -
>

>            And then to "multiply" my molecules of sugar and to add
>         them to my system in random positions, what programs should I
>         use?
>
>            Thank you very much in advance,
>            Fernando Mattio
>

>         2005/10/5, Tsjerk Wassenaar <tsjerkw at gmail.com>:
>                 Hi Fernando,
>
>                 Unless you're trying to build sugar chains, you don't
>                 need to make building blocks in the .rtp file. It is
>                 better to use .itp files for them. Also, it's better
>                 not to use the gmx force field, but rather the GROMOS
>                 one, for which there should be good sugar parameters
>                 available (by Roberto Lins).
>                 And genbox doesn't use the .rtp file, it's only used
>                 by pdb2gmx. Genbox will insert molecules from a
>                 structure file (gro, pdb).
>
>                 Cheers,
>
>                 Tsjerk
>

>                 On 10/5/05, Fernando Mattio <mattiofer at gmail.com>
>                 wrote:
>                         Dear Gromacs users,
>
>                         I would like to insert some molecules of sugar
>                         in a box with protein and water .  So my idea
>                         was to use the ffgmx.rtp file, but copying
>                         only  the information of for example GALB and
>                         saving it as other .rtp file. It is the first
>                         time that I am dealing with this kind of
>                         topology file, and I would like to know if it
>                         is the right way of using the Gromacs Building
>                         Blocks.
>                         Then with genbox I think it is possible to
>                         create other sugar molecules from the .rtp
>                         file and to add them to my system, is it
>                         right?
>
>                         Thank you very much in advance!
>                         Fernando Mattio

>                         users
>                         Please don't post (un)subscribe requests to
>                         the list. Use the
>                         www interface or send it to gmx-users-
>                         request at gromacs.org.
>

>                 --
>
>                 Tsjerk A. Wassenaar, M.Sc.
>                 Groningen Biomolecular Sciences and Biotechnology

David.
Husargatan 3, Box 596,          75124 Uppsala, Sweden
phone:  46 18 471 4205          fax: 46 18 511 755
spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se    spoel at gromacs.org   http://xray.bmc.uu.se/~spoel