[gmx-users] Re: Mdrun interrupted using a triclinc box

leafyoung81-group at yahoo.com leafyoung81-group at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 10 11:47:59 CEST 2005

--- Yinghong <xieyh at hkusua.hku.hk> wrote:

> Dear Yang Ye:
>
> The PBC I used is one particular tpye of cubic box,
> which cross-section is a rhombus instead of
> rectangle.
> As we know, a hexagon can be divided into three
> rhombus, ok? We call it as unit cell, which is the
> box I employed. Normally, some distance is existing
> between solute molecule and box boundary in most
> simulations. But in my simulated box, the boudary is
> initially tangent to the solute, which means there
> is almost no distance between solute and box
> boundary. As you said, if your DNA exceed the
> boundary, one part will be in the right side, and
> the other will emergy in the left side. This is also
> the case I often encountered.
But this is quite okay because of PBC, atom is always
in contact with the nearest neighbours.

> In my simulation, the solute is a nanotube, as the
> simulation, the tube will be outside the box and
> broken into several parts. And finally, the run will
> be stopped possibly due to the broken nanotube.
As far as I know that nanotube is a rigid structure,
do you use any contrainsts to hold the atoms together?
What kind of contraints?

In one of my project, I could only use SHAKE to fix a
8-atom system as a rigid system (LINCS could not do
so). But SHAKE is not good with PBC (pbc=xyz), which
makes molecule exploding and simulation crashes.

Hope this piece of information could help you.
> > but Gromacs told me that has no effect for unit
> cell representation.
> which will be told when I use "trjconv -ur tric -pbc
> whole (not inbox)" to define a tric box.  Do you
> know how to define a tric box as I mentioned before?

I first estimate desired size of the box and then
change the last line of .gro file or 3rd line of .pdb
file.