[gmx-users] gromacs3.3 problem after installation

Erik Lindahl lindahl at sbc.su.se
Thu Oct 13 16:12:43 CEST 2005

Try setting CFLAGS="-O0 -g" before running configure.

If the output is still garbled, run it under gdb:

1. gdb /path/to/pdb2gmx
2. "run <normal arguments to mdrun>"
3. check where it crashes with "backtrace"

Cheers,

Erik

On Oct 13, 2005, at 7:21 AM, Wang Zhun wrote:

> Hi, Erik,
>
> It seems to be a rather linux-related problem instead of gromacs-
> related one, I'm afraid.
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> We won't be able to help without details, details, details:
>>
>> * What type hardware do you have?
>>

> My pc is a Compaq AP400, with two PII CPUs and 128M RAM.
>

>> * Which operation system, and which version?
>>

> Mandrake 8.1
> [wzh at hewei bin]$ uname -a
> Linux hewei.cams.ac.cn 2.4.8-26mdksmp #1 SMP Tue Mar 5 12:10:41 EST
> 2002 i686 unknown

This is ancient by linux standards...

>> * How did you install Gromacs? Did you compile yourself or use a
>> package?
>>

> I compiled it.
>

>> * If you compiled it, which compiler and version (cc --version or
>> something) are you using?
>>

> gcc version: 3.4.1

Although this is pretty new, so the problem might very well be
related to package incompatibilities on your OS.

> [...]
> disco*            g_dih*         g_mindist*   g_rmsf*       ngmx*
> do_dssp*          g_dipoles*     g_morph*     grompp*       pdb2gmx*
> editconf*         g_disre*       g_msd*       g_rotacf*     protonate*
> eneconv*          g_dist*        gmxcheck*    g_saltbr*     tpbconv*
> ffscan*           g_dyndom*      gmxdump*     g_sas*        trjcat*
> g_anaeig*         genbox*        GMXRC*       g_sgangle*    trjconv*
> g_analyze*        genconf*       GMXRC.bash*  g_sham*       trjorder*
> g_angle*          g_enemat*      GMXRC.csh*   g_sorient*    wheel*
> g_bond*           g_energy*      GMXRC.zsh*   g_tcaf*       x2top*
> g_bundle*         genion*        g_nmeig*     g_traj*       xpm2ps*
> g_chi*            genpr*         g_nmens*     g_velacc*     xrama*
> g_cluster*        g_filter*      g_nmtraj*    g_wham*
> [wzh at hewei bin]$ ./luck
> K. Nemoto[wzh at hewei bin]$
>
> Man and info pdb2gmx  show: pdb2gmx VERSION 3.3_beta_20050823. Is
> it right?
>

>> Cheers,
>>
>> Erik
>>

>> On Oct 12, 2005, at 7:35 PM, Wang Zhun wrote:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>> I've installed version 3.3 but failed to get it work.
>>> Eg: pdb2gmx is in my path but cannot be found, and  segmentation
>>> fault will occur if it's carried out.
>>> I don't know what's the problem.
>>>

>>> [wzh at hewei wzh]$ pdb2gmx -h
>>> tmpstrtrp[i]tmpstrtrp[i]tmpstrtra and K.
>>> Nemototmpstrtrtmpstrtrtmpstrtrtmpstrtrtmpstrtrtmpstrtrtmpstrtrtmpstr
>>> tr p[i]tmpstrtrp[i]t of range
>>> (135930989)---------------------------------------------------------
>>> -- -
>>> No filetype (null)
>>> d argument rint help info for option (null)Segmentation fault
>>> [wzh at hewei wzh]$ whereis pdb2gmx
>>> pdb2gmx:
>>> [wzh at hewei wzh]$ ls /usr/local/gromacs/bin/pdb2gmx
>>> /usr/local/gromacs/bin/pdb2gmx*
>>> [wzh at hewei wzh]$ echo $PATH
>>> /usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/games:/usr/
>>> X11R6/ bin:/usr/games:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/games:/usr/X11R6/bin:/
>>> usr/ games:.:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/gromacs/bin:/
>>> home/wzh/ biolinux/autodock/bin:/home/wzh/bin
>>> [wzh at hewei wzh]$  /usr/local/gromacs/bin/pdb2gmx
>>> tmpstrtrp[i]tmpstrtrp[i]tmpstrtra and K.
>>> Nemototmpstrtrtmpstrtrtmpstrtrtmpstrtrtmpstrtrtmpstrtrtmpstrtrtmpstr
>>> tr p[i]tmpstrtrp[i]t of range
>>> (135930989)---------------------------------------------------------
>>> -- -
>>> No filetype (null)
>>> d argument rint help info for option (null)Segmentation fault
>>> www  interface or send it to gmx-users-request at gromacs.org.

>> Erik Lindahl  <lindahl at sbc.su.se>
>> Assistant Professor, Stockholm Bioinformatics Center
>> Stockholm University, SE 106 91 Stockholm
>> Phone: +46 8 5537 8564     Fax: +46 8 5537 8214

> Thanks for your help in advance. This problem has troubled me for

[big attachment killed]

Cheers,

Erik