[gmx-users] Re: prodrg on small molecule

Pim Schravendijk schraven at mpip-mainz.mpg.de
Mon Oct 17 14:22:03 CEST 2005

gb_26 is defined in gmx/share/top/ffG43a1bon.itp:

#define gb_26       0.1530  7.1500e+06
; C, CHn  -   C, CHn    800

as you can see the bond-distance is the same for both, but PRODRG
generated an harmonic bond ("fu" is 1), while in GROMOS 43a1 there is a
GROMOS-96 bond ("fu" is 2). In chapter 4.2 of the manual "bonded
interactions" you see the corresponding equations. You can see there
that the bond constants of both functions are related as:

k_harm = 2*k_g96*b^2

if you fill in 7.1500e+06 for k_g96 you get 334749 for k_harm so in effect
both your potentials here have the same force constant, you could choose
to change all your bond/angle/dihedral/nonbonded potentials to the
gromos96 43a1 type without much problems.

Be aware that partial charges from PRODRG can be not completely correct,
check this with the charges of similar molecules that are listed in
gmx/share/top/ffG43a1.rtp

hope this answers your question!

greetings, Pim

--
Pim Schravendijk - PhD Student
Max Planck Institute for Polymer Research