[gmx-users] Parameter file - dt and nsteps

Alan Dodd anoddlad at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 18 16:09:08 CEST 2005

Time in the parameter file is in ps... so dt=2 will be
2000 fs, and 0.002 will be the 2 fs that you want.  3
ns will naturally take a while.  mdrun will usually
tell you when it will finish.  It depends on the size
of your system and speed of your processor, of course,
but generally you're looking at days, possibly weeks
for an MD run in the order of several nanoseconds.  I
have a system size around 21000 particles and get
about half a nanosecond a day over 8 processors, using
a 1.5fs timestep.  You can tweak the speed by
modifying the cutoffs etc, just don't reduce them too
much.

gmx-users-request at gromacs.org.