[gmx-users] mdrun -rerun results depend on starting .gro file. Why?

David Mobley dmobley at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 00:35:11 CEST 2005

David,

That's what I thought, but the fact is, it IS making a significant
difference (several percent). I generate EXACTLY the same tpr file, with the
exception of the .gro file and nstlim=1, and I get different energies by
several percent. If I use the same .gro file I get the same energies. So
clearly there is some interplay going on. I've tried this multiple different
times on a number of different systems (in 3.2.1) and the effect is quite
reproducible. I am NOT doing something drastic like running it on a
different system or anything -- I'm running the SAME system, with everything
set the same, except nstlim=1, and a different .gro file for grompp.

Could you perhaps try the same experiment on your own system? Just try mdrun
-rerun of a trajectory by taking your original mdp file, setting nstlim=1,
and then generating a tpr file with your original system's starting
coordinates and processing your original trajectory with that tpr file and
-rerun. Then take your original system's ending coordinates (in my case,
I've got a protein which I'm running for 1 ns) and repeat the same process.
Compare the energies written out by the two and see if they're different;
I'm getting, as I said, differences of several percent.

Or could you maybe check the source code for the -rerun option or something?

I can even send you the system I'm working on if you want. I'm actually
running a very simple system with just toluene in water and I'm seeing this
difference; it's rather concerning, plus it's making it so I can't do the
data analysis I need.

Thanks,
David