[gmx-users] Question about creating new forcefield terms

Suchitra Konduri gtg072j at mail.gatech.edu
Wed Oct 26 21:56:32 CEST 2005

Hi David,
I went through chapter 4 of the manual and there is no mention of the cubic
and quartic terms in the bond-stretch or bond-angle potential terms. So I
guess I have to incoporate that definition of the potential in the forcefield
file... Hence to do the Gibbsite simulations...

(1) At first, I have to define the potential energy equation somewhere. Can
you tell me where can I access the files that have the equations defined for
the forcefields?
(2) Then I have to create *.itp, *bon.itp, *nb.itp, *.atp files (for which I
have the parameter data) and should also write up a small *.rtp file as well
(as Rahul mentioned)
(3) Incorporate the  new ffxxx.itp in FF.dat so that I can use it to
generate .top and .gro files using pdb2gmx and go one from that point to
subsequently perform MD runs...

So I have to create all the files manually from scratch.....Is it the right
way to do MD on the system or am I making the situation very complicated?

Please suggest me accordingly if I am making a mistake in understanding the
problem.

Thanks a lot for your help,

Suchitra