[gmx-users] Help with combining to .gro files into one simulation

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Mon Sep 5 10:52:07 CEST 2005

> On 9/3/05, *Chris Gaughan* <clgaughan68 at yahoo.com
> <mailto:clgaughan68 at yahoo.com>> wrote:
>
>     Thanks for the reply, David,
>
>     Since I'm very new to using UNIX, I ask how would I
>     use the text editor to combine them? Apparently there
>     is no cut and paste kind of thing when using emacs.

I'd wager an evening's beer that emacs had cut and paste at least a
decade before WYSIWYG-style word processors even existed. In fact, under
X, it is as easy as you can imagine. Left-click at one endpoint, and
right-click at the other endpoint. Your selection is highlighted and
automatically sent to a kind-of clipboard. Now move to the insertion
point, and center-click (possibly that's left+right simultaneously if
you have a crippled mouse). Alternatively, Ctrl-K kills a line and
successive uninterrupted Ctrl-K actions accumulate those lines to the
same clipboard. Now moving to the insertion point and Ctrl-W pastes
those accumulated lines.

Of course, these suggestions don't even scratch the surface of emacs's
cut-and-paste capabilities, which far exceed any editor I've ever
experienced. I recommend Googling "emacs tutorial" after being prepared
to learn some new techniques... Also, it sounds like doing a UNIX course
might be a good idea :-)

Cheers,