[gmx-users] about temperature

Anton Feenstra feenstra at few.vu.nl
Fri Sep 30 15:17:12 CEST 2005

aa qq wrote:

> Dear users:
> Can you tell me the difference between translational temperature, rotational temperature and room temperature?

Translational temperature is derived from the average kinetic energy
(read: velocity) of a whole molecule (i.e., its center of mass), as
opposed to the 'normal' temperature derived from the average kinetic
energy of all degrees of freedom.

Rotational temperature is derived from the rotational kinetic energy.

Room temperature is what you read from your thermometer; but it is also
often used to mean a temperature around 297K (about 25 °C).

--
Groetjes,

Anton

* NOTE: New Affiliation, Phone & Fax numbers (below) *
| / \ / \'| | | IBIVU/Bioinformatics - Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam   |
|(   |   )| | | De Boelelaan 1083 - 1081A HV Amsterdam - Netherlands  |
| \_/ \_/ | | | Tel +31 20 59 87783 - Fax +31 20 59 87653 - Room P440 |
|             | Feenstra at few.vu.nl - www.few.vu.nl/~feenstra/         |
|             | "If You See Me Getting High, Knock Me Down" (RHCP)    |