[gmx-users] MD run error

Kushal Seth kushalseth at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 02:36:14 CEST 2006

Hi again !

Thanks a lot for your help. its a great learning experience since am new to
GROMACS.
Well I have made a membrane and i have put two water boxes on top of the
membrane.These three structures were combined in to one and i wanted to run
energy minimization on the resulting structure.

I errors i got earlier have vanised when i added the ; table-extension = 3.8
in to my mdp file (thry trial and error).
i would like to know if this is OK, secondly i get the following outputs
after 116 steps

"Stepsize too small, or no change in energy.

Converged to machine precision,

but not to the requested precision Fmax < 100

Double precision normally gives you higher accuracy.

You might need to increase your constraint accuracy, or turn

off constraints alltogether (set constraints = none in mdp file)

writing lowest energy coordinates.

Back Off! I just backed up em.trr to ./#em.trr.9#

Back Off! I just backed up emout.pdb to ./#emout.pdb.9#

Steepest Descents converged to machine precision in 117 steps,

but did not reach the requested Fmax < 100.

Potential Energy  =  5.4069402e+08

Maximum force     =  3.0060948e+06 on atom 14374

Norm of force     =  4.0884328e+07"

Below is the copy of my mdp file :

;

; User spoel (236)

; Wed Nov 3 17:12:44 1993

; Input file

;

title = Yo

cpp = /usr/bin/cpp

constraints = none

integrator = steep

; ENERGY MINIMIZATION OPTIONS =

; Force tolerance and initial step-size =

emtol = 100

emstep = 0.005

; Max number of iterations in relax_shells =

niter = 20

; Frequency of steepest descents steps when doing CG =

nstcgsteep = 1000

dt = 0.002 ; ps !

nsteps = 5000 ; total 10 ps = 10/0.002.

nstcomm = 1

nstxout = 250

nstvout = 1000

nstfout = 0

nstxtcout = 50

nstlog = 100

nstenergy = 100

nstlist = 10

ns_type = grid

coulombtype = PME

rlist = 1.0

rcoulomb = 1.0

rvdw = 1.0

DispCorr = EnerPres

table-extension = 3.8

; Berendsen temperature coupling is on in two groups

Tcoupl = berendsen

tc-grps = POP CHO OCH SOL

tau_t = 0.1 0.1 0.1 0.1

ref_t = 300 300 300 300