[gmx-users] simulation at particular pH

Gerrit Groenhof g.groenhof at rug.nl
Tue Aug 8 22:15:40 CEST 2006

Bad idea. Adding just one proton (1/Navogadro moles ~ 1.6 * 10^-24)to a
box of say 500 nm^3 (5 10^-22 liter), continaining roughly 10000 waters
would give a pH of 2.5  (-log[1.6/5*10^-2), which is the maximum pH you
can reach for such standard box. If you want to go higher, say to pH=7,
your box needs to be at least 1.6 * 10^-17 liter, or 1.6 * 10^7 nm^3.
THis is too big for simulation.

Therefore adding H+ or H3O+ is not really an option. Instead you should
choose the protonation states of the titrating sites in the system such
that they correspond to the pH your are interested in. Equilibrium
exchange of protons between aminoacid sidechains is probably happening
on a timescale much longer than a typical simulation length.

Gerrit