[gmx-users] covalent linkage with protein

Tsjerk Wassenaar tsjerkw at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 09:02:42 CEST 2006

Hi Elias, Prabharakan.

In order to achieve this you have to manually merge two partial
topologies. In the case of PEG and a protein, assuming that both
topologies are present, the topologies have to be physically merged
into a single topology, renumbering all atoms (mind bonds, angles,
etc) of the second part of the topology. Following, one has to add a
number of bonded terms, pairs and possibly exclusions for the
interactions between the two parts. IIRC Anton Feenstra has
(submitted) a tool to renumber topologies after merging, which would
make life a bit easier.

I could imagine that it would be good having a tool or a slight
modification of the topology parsing routines to allow simple merging
of partial topologies, such that the topologies of A and B are
combined using a simple section with descriptions of the interactions
between the systems based on the original atom numbers of both
subsystems. This could also solve recurrent problems concerning the
application of distance_restraints between different chains. But that
is for the developers or someone else to add...

Hope it helps,

Tsjerk