[gmx-users] run gromacs on a single machine with mutiple CPUs

Yang Ye leafyoung81-group at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 21 09:38:39 CET 2006

normally we use following commands when compiling gromacs
./configure ... --program_suffix=_mpi --enable-mpi ...

So we will have mdrun_mpi in the end.

The usage of mdrun_mpi is the same as mdrun but -np, -replex and other
switches are activated.

That statement on the user manual is to clarify that you don't need
MPI-enabled mdrun to run on a multiprocessor machine. But if you want to
tap the capability of the multiprocessor machine, you need to use MPI
and use mdrun_mpi

Regards,
Yang Ye