[gmx-users] rerun forces

Attilio vargiu at sissa.it
Sun Feb 19 14:28:21 CET 2006

Hi all,
I have a little problem with the rerun of the trajectories to get out
forces acting on atoms.
To calculate the forces I followed the instructions I read in the
mailing list.
I changed the mdp file, as below, to get the forces every frame, without
re-calculating the neighbor list....

-----------------
mdp ORIGINAL
;  OUTPUT CONTROL
nstcheckpoint       =  1000     ; checkpointing helps you continue after
crashes
nstxtcout           =  1000              ; output frequency and
precisionfor xtc file
nstxout             =  1000           ; write coords
nstvout             =  1000
nstfout             =  1000
nstlog              =  1000     ; print to logfile
nstenergy           =  1000            ; print energies
; NEIGHBOR SEARCHING
nstlist             =  15                       ; update pairlist
ns_type             =  grid                     ; pairlist method
pbc                 =  xyz
rlist               =  1.2                      ; cut-off for ns

-----------------------
mdp RERUN
;  OUTPUT CONTROL
nstcheckpoint       =  1000000000     ; checkpointing helps you continue
after crashes
nstxtcout           =  1000000000              ; output frequency and
precisionfor xtc file
nstxout             =  1000000000           ; write coords
nstvout             =  1000000000
nstfout             =  1
nstlog              =  1000000000     ; print to logfile
nstenergy           =  1000000000     ; print energies
;  NEIGHBOR SEARCHING
nstlist             =  0                       ; update pairlist
ns_type             =  grid                     ; pairlist method
pbc                 =  xyz
rlist               =  1.2                      ; cut-off for ns

I obtain forces of the order of 10e+30 Kj mol-1 nm-1 (are these the
correct units, to divide by f~139 to get forces in (e/nm)^2 ?), that
sounds quite strange.
In fact I run a new short (100ps) simulation in which forces are printed
out, and I obtain much smaller forces, between 10e+0 and 10e+5.
Then I tried putting _nstlist = 1_, updating the forces each step during
the rerun (yes?) of the trajectory, and I obtain values of the same
order of magnitude, but with different values of the forces.
I would expect to find the same forces at least for the frame number 0.
What's wrong?  I need to do some imaging of the trajectory, or to leave
unchanged also the nslist flag? In my case, the results do not vary by
changing neither the flag nstfout from 1 to 1000, neither the nstlist
from 1 to 1000.
Can somebody tell me how to set correctly the flags in my mdp????
Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance,
Attilio

--
Attilio Vittorio Vargiu
PhD Student in Statistical and Biological Physics