[gmx-users] Re: dPCA analysis

Dongsheng Zhang dong at pampas.chem.purdue.edu
Tue Feb 21 07:54:36 CET 2006

Dear Daniela,

Thank you for your reply!

On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 16:30 +1000, Daniela S. Mueller wrote:
> dear dongsheng,
>
> Dongsheng Zhang wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > Thank Tsjerk very much for the help. The option -nofit works for me.
> > However I still have some questions regarding g_covar:
> >
> > 1. In g_covar analysis, it is required to have an input file for -s. It
> > can be *tpr or *pdb.  After I tested it, I found that the results
> > (eigenvalues and eigenvectors) were different by using *tpr or *pdb for
> > -s with the option -nofit. This is out of my expectation. With -nofit
> > option, I think *tpr serves as an index file to tell g_covar what
> > elements will be analyzed. I get the *tpr file by using:
> > tpbconv -s old.tpr -o *tpr -n index.ndx
> > by manipulating index.ndx, I can get different *tpr. Then I found I got
> > different results (eigenvalues and eigenvectors) with different *tpr
> > files in g_covar anlysis. I also changed coordinates in *pdb file, I got
> > the same results (That is the way it should be) with different *pdb
> > files. I think maybe something is wrong with the option -s *tpr. If
> > anyone knows the answer, please tell me.
>
> you are right that the tpr-file serves as a reference, but in order to
> do that it has to match the atoms present in you trajectory. otherwise
> you need an index-file for g_covar as well.
> usually the tpr-file should correspond to the set of atoms in the
> trajectory- resp. structure-file that you are analysing.

I think tpr file has to match with trr file only respect to the number
of atomes, not the coordinates or atome names. In this sense, my tpr (7
atoms) matches with my angle.trr (21 coordinates), then I can't
understand why I can't get the right result. I try to add -n index.ndx.
It doesn't help.

Best wishes!

Dongsheng