[gmx-users] Netiquette on the gromacs user list?

Maik Goette mgoette at mpi-bpc.mpg.de
Thu Feb 23 11:23:32 CET 2006

I think, nearly everyone is trying to help others out.
Even, if a look in the manual would be wise before asking.
I can't feel this arrogance here...it's just, that there seem to be
people, who
1. don't understand, that GROMACS is not commercial and therefore the
support may be a bit worse than of commercial products.
2. expect to do MD without a deeper knowledge of the matter
3. don't see that helping via mailing-list is not that easy and requires
lots of informations concerning parameters, files, etc.

I think it's ok to tell those people, what they should do BEFORE they
try to calculate complicated things in general.
And especially the developers have to treat lot's of "simple" questions,
which can be solved by just reading the manual.

Regards

Maik Goette, Dipl. Biol.
Theoretical & computational biophysics department
Am Fassberg 11
37077 Goettingen
Germany
Tel.  : ++49 551 201 2310