[gmx-users] What's the best distribution for gromacs?

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Fri Feb 24 06:16:19 CET 2006

Bruno Reboredo wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm new here.
> I have a Athlon 64 3700+. What's linux distribution I would have to use
> to run gromacs? I will run heavy Molecular Dynamics.

I'd not worry much about gromacs - given that there are assembly
language optimizations for Athlon 64 (I believe so), stuff like MPI and
FFTW will run well on anything, so gromacs will be fine. I'd choose your
distribution to suit your hardware, sysadmin and users. On machines I
use, there is FC4 on Intel 32, and modified SuSe SLES 9 on Itanium2.