[gmx-users] Re: Re: Size of perturbed groups in FEP

Bruce Milne bfmilne at ff.up.pt
Fri Jan 13 13:27:06 CET 2006

Hi,

Thanks everyone for your answers. I think I understand the point about
correlation times possible being long for FEP of D-/L-amino acids in
small peptides (these would be octapeptides) as there are significant
intra-molecular interactions with the side-chains that influence the
conformation of the molecule - if the system is perturbed from D to L
configuration a conformational change would be expected and this would
have to be allowed to stabilise into a new conformational potential well.

Also, when perturbing large bulky groups, more time would be needed for
rearrangement of solvent as the group's interactions with it
grow/shrink. So because of both of these points a long simulation with
slow rate of change of the perturbed group(s) would be best - am I right?

Thanks again,

Bruce

--
Dr. Bruce F. Milne PhD