[gmx-users] Re: Re: Size of perturbed groups in FEP

David Mobley dmobley at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 19:58:29 CET 2006

Bruce,

About the rate of change... I recommend *not* doing time-dependent
calculations. See my exchange with Maik Goette on this subject on here just
a few minutes  ago. The literature suggests these tend to be pretty
hysteretic. Instead, run simulations at specific lambda values where lambda
modulates between your original system and your final system. Then you can
do error analysis at each of these lambda values to try and get an estimate
of how long you need to run (i.e. how long to extend your simulations by) to
get within the error you want. Probably a good starting length is >1ns at
each lambda value (after equilibration).

You can use thermodynamic integration or Bennett Acceptance Ratio (which can
be applied by postprocessing your data with mdrun -rerun) to combine your
runs at each lambda value into an estimate of the overall free energy
difference.

David