[gmx-users] Re: Re: RMSD in total energy

Yujie Wu yujie.wu at hec.utah.edu
Tue Jan 17 00:12:18 CET 2006

> Once again David!
>
> So should I pay more attention to overall stabilization (=drift) of the total
> energy, energy components, and other properties such density than fluctuations
> in the total energy and just accept this disadvantage of the Berendsen
> temperature coupling (if Nose-Hoover isnt any better)? It is however quite
> often employed temperature coupling method and others should have had these
> "well-known" problems with "exact energy conservation" too?

The total energy here should be that of the extended system for NVT (or NPT)
simulations, because that is the quantity which should not drift in theory. The
Berendsen thermostat doesn't  corresponds to an extended system (and so the
total energy is doomed to drift), whereas the Nose-Hoover thermostat does. So if
you care about energy conservation, you should use Nose-Hoover thermostat for
your production runs.

That said, I am not sure whether the total energy from ener.edr file is for the
extended system or just for the simulation box (i.e., without the contribution
from the thermostat). Can any Gromacs guru comment on this?

Yujie