[gmx-users] Electrostatics and VDW

David Mobley dmobley at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 17:55:11 CET 2006

Una,

Sorry. I was in a hurry and made a typo. With PME, you don't have to have
rlist>rcoulomb. PME, of course, is only for coulomb interactions, so it has
no bearing on how big rvdw has to be.

It turns out that you have to have rvdw>rlist with vdwtype=cutoff, as
GROMACS is telling you. But I'm not sure that cutoff vdw interactions is
really the best bet, as that means the potential changes discontinuously. We
tend to prefer switched vdw, which has the additional side-effect that you
don't have to have rvdw>rlist.

David