[gmx-users] compiling an old gmx version under cygwin

Moore, Jonathan (J) JMoore2 at dow.com
Fri Jul 7 21:39:04 CEST 2006

I recently installed a hacked version of gmx 3.0 under cygwin (yes, I know
3.0 is ancient, but I'm using it in this case because of some extra
functionality that this hacked version has).  configure informed me "cannot
find -lnsl" and "WARNING: RPC/XDR libraries not found - disabling xtc".  I
didn't think much of it because I think of xtc as being a way to store more
compact (in terms of file size) position files and the system I'm looking at
with 3.0 is relatively small.  However, I had failed to appreciate that
another advantage of xtc files is that they are portable.

I gather that cygwin doesn't have libnsl.  Of course, more recent versions
of gmx compile fine under cygwin.  Is there any practical way for me to get
xtc working for gmx 3.0 under cygwin?

Thanks,
Jonathan

Jonathan Moore, Ph.D.
Research and Engineering Sciences - New Products
Core R&D
The Dow Chemical Company
1702 Building, Office 4E
Midland, MI 48674  USA