[gmx-users] Re: confused about rcoulomb<=rlist

Janne Hirvi janne.hirvi at joensuu.fi
Thu Jul 13 08:46:03 CEST 2006

Hello!

I was delighted to see this conversation about the use of rcoulomb and rlist. I
made my own three test simulations with bulk water (1372 SPC/E molecules & 2fs
& 200ps) using double precision compilation with parameters

nstlist       = 5
vdwtype       = Switch
rvdw_switch   = 1.0
rvdw          = 1.1
rlist         = 1.2
coulombtype   = Pme
rcoulomb      = a)1.0        b)1.2        c)1.2
ewald_rtol    = a)1.0E-6     b)1.0E-6     c)3.632E-9

and found out that energy conservation is actually very good (drift~4kJ/mol) in
cases a) and c), but poor in case b) (~209kJ/mol) as you predicted. However I
was surprised that with larger rcoulomb one should use that much smaller
ewald_rtol to see energy conservation (I had made earlier some tests with
little bit larger value)?

Actually earlier I have used rcoulomb=1.2 and ewald_rtol=1.0E-5 with pure wan
der Waals cut-off (rlist=rvdw=1.2) and of course the energy conservation has
been bad. I would need some comments from the experts like you about these
simulations:

1. Do you see a "huge" problem when I havent used perfect PME parameters with
pure wan der Waals cut-off, while the vdw cut-off already destroyes the energy
conservation?

2. How about the energy conservation in general with temperature coupling. Wan
der Waals cut-off and not perfect PME parameters will create clear drift in NVE
simulations but is it acceptable to remove it with temperature coupling?

Thanks,

Janne